Ways to Present a Positive Impression During Holiday Events
By Diane DiResta. Website: http://www.diresta.com
1. Own the room. Stand tall and walk in with confidence.
2. Be the first to reach out. Extend your hand and give a firm handshake.
3. Look directly into someone’s eyes. Do not scan the room while talking to one person.
4. Ask questions about them instead of talking about yourself.
5. Mirror the other person. Match their speaking rate, volume level, and words. If they speak fast, quicken your pace. If they are soft-spoken, lower your volume. People like people who are most like them.
6. Speak clearly and pause. Sloppy or hurried speech is perceived as negative. Eliminate slang.
7. Be fully present. Focus on the person and listen non-verbally with body language and with words.
8. Find common ground quickly. This will build instant rapport.
9. Give compliments.
10. Paraphrase. It’s a form of acknowledging people. This skill makes you very attractive. It communicates you’re listening.
11. Have something interesting to say. Comment on the other person’s interests.
12. Be a giver. Offer a tip or an introduction to others. Give without expecting anything in return.
13. Smile. You’ll appear more approachable and confident.